Thursday, June 2, 2011

The girls



Well, at least I hope they are all girls. Not being a chicken expert, I'm still waiting to see if any rooster-like qualities develop.

I sure hope they sort that out soon, because I won't be able to keep any roosters, and I'm getting pretty attached to these girls.


Mr. R calls me the chicken whisperer. I know he's being a smart-ass, but I'm kind of proud of my new moniker. Not everyone can whisper to chickens, right?


Check out those fuzzy cheeks! She is so adorable, and growing feathers out of her cheeks. Classic. By the way, have you tried to take pictures of chickens lately? Let me tell you this, it is not easy. They constantly are moving here or there, craning their necks, chasing bugs, dashing into their coop at the smallest provocation. Dumb clucks.


Here they are in a game of butt's up. Cute, huh?


Here they are in attack mode. I know they love me, but why do they try to peck my eyes out and my shoes off? Bad chickens. Aren't my chicken shoes something? I bet your jealous.

The big question is when will they start laying eggs? Not for a while, is my pat answer. At 9 weeks, they are still only teenagers. I've read that they start laying anywhere from 4 - 8 months old. Can't wait for those fresh eggs, especially the turquoise ones from my "easter eggers"!

6 comments:

  1. YAY! I've been waiting for a chicken update. I need you to get a frizzle, though! PLEEEEEEEEZE!

    Stumpy and me

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls are so cute. I really want chickens, especially after tasting the eggs from my neighbor's hens. Yum! Hope they start laying soon! ciao from Newport Beach!!

    ciaonewportbeach.blogspot.com

    Please check out my new blog if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're lovely chickens. The girls always wear lipstick and their 'clucks' are a touch higher in pitch.

    That's my experience.xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ch- what the heck is a frizzle?
    @ fabiana- are the eggs really that much better? ooo, i just can't wait!
    @ h- hahaha, lipstick and high pitched clucks just kill me! and thanks for noticing how lovely they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. now i'm curious. what is a frizzle? they grew up so quickly, but it does seem to take a while before they earn their keep! and nice shoes, btw. are you bowling down there, too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you a few weeks back when my neighbor built the most wonderful little chicken run/coop in her yard. I was extremely jealous, it was like Architectural Digest for chickens. She got six chicks that hatched on her birthday and two weeks later, some other neighbor reported her to the city - who promptly shut her down. So sad. Had to laugh at that bowling comment :)

    ReplyDelete